Buy Your Fishing License Here:
There are three important things to keep in mind:
- If you purchased a license in the past eighteen years, you have been assigned a lifetime ALS number. If you have, please ensure you enter this number on this page. If you do not know your ALS number, please visit http://fwp.mt.gov/myfwp.
- If you are purchasing a permit or license as a Montana resident, your name, date of birth, and driver's license number will be checked against a database of driver's records to ensure it meets FWP's residency requirements.
- Montana Fish Wildlife & Parks emails all receipts, licenses, permits & carcass tags to the email address(es) you specify.
- If you are claiming Montana residency, you will be presented with a Statement of Residency that you must agree to in order to proceed. The statement is a declaration that you have been a legal Montana resident for at least 180 days. You will be prompted annually to declare the years and months you have been a resident of the state of Montana.
- If you have not bought a Montana Resident Fishing License in the past, you must visit an authorized Montana FWP License Vendor (The Trout Shop) where your information can be verified through your valid identification.
After successful completion of your first Montana License, you will be issued and Automated Licensing Service Number allowing you to purchase your licenses on-line in the future.
Non- Resident Requirements:
If you have purchased a license in Montana in the last 18 years, your license information is stored in Fish Wildlife & Parks computer network.
- If you know your ALS Number, you will be allowed to purchase your license on-line.
- If you do not know your ALS Number, you will be provided options to look up your ALS number or create one as a new applicant. Once you obtain your ALS Number, go back to the home page and enter the appropriate information.
- Some items require you to purchase or already possess prerequisite licenses. If you do not currently possess or haven't selected such a requirement, the Online Licensing System will attempt to add the required prerequisite(s) to your shopping cart, and notify you that it has done so.
- For some items, additional information is required. For instance, a hunter education, bowhunter education, or bear identification certificate number and date of completion. If this information is requested, simply provide that information in the space provided. If you need a duplicate of a Montana hunter education card or bear ID certificate, please visit http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/.
- For existing records, FWP does not allow updates to date of birth or eye color through the online service. If you have changes to this type of information, contact FWP's Licensing Bureau at Licensing's phone number 406-444-2950.
- The system will display the cost of the licenses you have selected. From here you can either select "Proceed to Checkout", or you can edit your choices to update your order.
- The system will prompt you to enter personal demographic and address information. If you already have a record in the system, most of this information should already be complete. It is important to ensure your record is accurate and up-to-date. For example, home and work phone numbers and email address that you provide could be used to contact you regarding hunting harvest information, or game damage hunt participation (provided you register as a hunt roster participant).
- To pay for your order, simply enter your credit or debit card information at this point. This service will accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.
At the end of the transaction, you will be given the option to:
- Print your payment receipt
- View/Print your license and application receipt
- Email all receipts to email address(es) you specify
If you applied for a drawing during your online session, an application receipt will be attached to your order. The application receipt contains species, districts, bonus/preference point information, and party number (if applicable), from your online application.
Printing Your License
- You are responsible for printing and carrying your licenses, permits, and carcass tags at all times when hunting, fishing or recreating on state lands. Montana FWP suggests placing the carcass tag in a plastic bag before attaching to the carcass.
- All other licenses purchased through this service must be printed on your home printer. It is mandatory to have a copy of this license on your person. You are responsible for printing and carrying your license at all times when hunting, fishing, or recreating on state lands.
- If the only license(s) you purchased falls into those that FWP will mail to you, then you will not see a View/Print Your License and Application Receipt button on the last page of the service. That button will appear only when you purchase licenses that must be printed on your home printer, or when you apply for a random drawing.
Montana FWP Support